Avoid Becoming a Victim at the ATM
Be alert at all times and remember the following easy tips:
- Check your surroundings before approaching the ATM. If someone is standing near or is parked near the ATM don’t approach it.
- Never punch in your pin before being prompted to do so by the ATM, especially if your card appears to be stuck.
- Stand close to the machine when keying in your PIN so that other people cannot see your number.
- Use your hand and body as a shield when typing in your PIN. Remember, your PIN is the key to your account.
- Never give your PIN to anyone. Not even a bank official is required to know your PIN.
- Bank officials never need your PIN to assist you with your account.
- Never accept assistance from a stranger at an ATM or allow yourself to be distracted when performing a transaction.
- If someone tries to “assist” you at the ATM and you feel it would be safer to “play along” you could key in the incorrect PIN and leave the ATM immediately.
- Check that the card in your possession is yours before and after every transaction.
- Mark your card for easy identification.