General Questions

Where are you located?

The Livonia Police Department is located at
15050 Farmington Road; Livonia, MI 48154.
Just south of 5 Mile on the East side of the road.
Business phone: (734) 466.2470
Emergency: 911

Where is the 16th District Court?
32765 Five Mile Rd. east of the Livonia Public Library. Business phone: (734) 466.2500
What are the police department hours?
Officers are available to file complaints and accident reports 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Copies of reports, fingerprinting and complaint inquires can be done Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
How can I commend a Police Officer?
As servants to the public we strive to provide our citizens with outstanding services.  Please feel free to let us know how well our officers are providing you with outstanding service.  You may complete this form to let us know how well an officer or employee is doing.
How do I file a complaint against a Police Officer?
Call the Patrol Desk at (734) 466.2470 and ask to speak to the shift supervisor or you may come into the station at any time and ask to speak to the shift supervisor.
My car was impounded, where is the tow yard?
Map to Livonia Towing

Map to Livonia Towing

All vehicles impounded by the Livonia Police are taken to Livonia Towing which is located at:
12955 Levan; Livonia, MI 48150
Business phone: (734) 591.0457

When can I pick-up my car from Livonia Towing?
Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
Saturday 10:00 am – 12:00 pm (The vehicle will only be released with proof of ownership).
Can I pay a ticket at the Police Station?
No. Tickets must be paid by mail or at the 16th District Court.
I have an abandoned vehicle on my property; can the police department come out and tow it away?
No. The police department does not tow vehicles off of private property. You are responsible for the removal of the vehicle if you want it towed.
Does the police department assist with keys locked in my car?
Only if you do not have power locks / windows and are willing to sign a waiver of liability.
What is the curfew for minors?
A youth under the age of 12 cannot be in or on a public place without a parent or guardian between the hours of 10:00 pm and 6:00 am.
A youth under the age of 17 cannot be in or on a public place without a parent or guardian between the hours of 12:00 am and 6:00 am
Does the police department know if schools are closed?
Unless an emergency situation exists, the school district does not notify the police department of school closings. You must listen to radio and TV news, watch city channel 8, or call the school directly.
Does the police department have the bus route schedule?
No. You must call SMART transportation at (313) 962.5515.
What do I need to get a gun permit?
Apply at the police station central records bureau Monday thru Friday from 8:00 am – 3:00 pm. You must be a Livonia resident and have a driver’s license or state issued identification card (there is a small fee for this service).Download Pistol Purchasing Application
Am I charged for false burglary alarms to my residence or business?
Section 1. Section 070 of Title 5, Chapter 06 of the Livonia Code of Ordinances, as amended, is hereby amended to read as follows:

5.06.070 False Alarms – Fee required when; Interest; Collection; Appeals.

A) To reduce the occurrence of false alarms; the owner or lessee of an alarm system shall pay to the City the following sums for each occasion that the alarm system is activated and responded to by the police and/or fire division in any of the following cases:

First call in the calendar year No Charge
Second call in the calendar year No Charge
Third call in the calendar year $50
Fourth call in the calendar year $100
Fifth call in the calendar year $200
Sixth call in the calendar year $300
Seventh call in the calendar year $300
Eighth call in the calendar year $400
Ninth call in the calendar year $400
Tenth call in the calendar year $500
All additional calls in a calendar year $500
What time do the parks close?
All parks in the city of Livonia are closed from 10:00 pm – 6:00 am.
I have a new business in the city; do I need to register it with the police department?
You can come into the police station to complete a “business card” indicating emergency contact numbers if there is ever a problem with your business.
Where can I apply for a bike license?
Apply at City Hall, call (734) 466.2232.
Where can I view the Sex Offenders List?
You can view the sex offenders’ list at the Livonia Police Detective Bureau, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm Monday – Friday.

Michigan Public Sex Offender Registry (PSOR)

Report-Related Questions

How long do I have to file a police report?
10 days.
Do I report an electrical power outage to the police department?
No. You must contact Detroit Edison at (800) 477.4747.
I had a traffic accident on the roadway; do I have to make a police report?
The law requires you to make a report if you have over $1,000 damage to your vehicle. You have 10 days to make the report.
What if I have a non-injury accident on private property?
You should file a Private Property Accident Report in person at the Livonia Police Department as soon as possible. This can be done at any hour or day.
I had a minor traffic accident in a parking lot; can you send a police car to take the report?
Because the volume of traffic accidents, the police department requires all private property accident reports be completed at the police station. Bring in your drivers license, vehicle registration, and vehicle insurance along with any other information from the other driver(s) involved. An officer at the police station will take the report.
Where can I obtain a copy of a traffic accident report or a criminal incident report?
Copies of reports can be obtained for a fee at the Central Records Bureau located inside the Livonia Police Department 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday – Friday.
Central Records Information
Animal Control Questions Traffic Bureau


Print Friendly, PDF & Email